Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 888 5G chipset at its Snapdragon Summit on Tuesday. The processor is set to power Android flagship phones in 2021 and brands like Realme, OPPO, Xiaomi, and more have announced their first phones to be powered by the Snapdragon 888 chipset. During the keynote, Qualcomm did not reveal the specifications of the Snapdragon 888, but we now have more details regarding the key features of the chipset. The successor to the Snapdragon 865 comes with 5G support, AI improvements, a new Spectra 580 ISP, and Adreno 660 GPU, among other things.
Snapdragon 888 key features
- In terms of connectivity, the Snapdragon 888 is integrated with the 3rd generation Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF system that enables support for sub-6 and mmWave 5G connectivity. The chipset also comes equipped with FastConnect 6900 Mobile Connectivity System that supports Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, and aptX suite.
- Qualcomm said that the Snapdragon 888 takes a big leap in AI with a redesigned 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with the new Hexagon 780 processor. The chipset’s AI chops can achieve 26 TOPS and the platform integrates a dedicated low-power AI processor to enable use cases like screen awake, lift and activity detection, and audio event detection.
- Coming to the camera, the Snapdragon 888 includes the new Qualcomm Spectra 580 ISP that offers a Triple Image Signal Processor. This can enable a camera system to capture from three cameras simultaneously at fast processing speeds. The chipset also supports three 4K HDR videos at the same time and the ability to capture photos in 10-bit depth in HEIF format.
- Snapdragon 888 is also big on gaming with the Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming platform. The company said that the chipset delivers Variable Rate Shading (VRS), which improves game rendering by up to 30 percent.
- Snapdragon 888 is based on a 5nm process and delivers CPU clock speeds up to 2.84GHz. The chipset comes equipped with the Adreno 660 GPU, which promises to deliver up to 35 percent faster graphics rendering compared to the Snapdragon 865 SoC.
Snapdragon 888-powered smartphones will start appearing in Q1 2021. Xiaomi is expected to get the ball rolling with the launch of the Mi 11. Realme has also confirmed the launch of the Realme Race flagship, while OPPO will also be coming out with the next Find X smartphone in early 2021.