Wondering how to delete/deactivate your Instagram account? This piece is just for you. Tired of Instagram? or think Instagram is a distraction? There could be many reasons why you want to deactivate or delete your Instagram account. Just like Facebook and other social media platforms, Instagram also provides you with the option to deactivate/ delete your account. Deactivating the Instagram account will make the account stop working temporarily, while the delete option will permanently remove your profile as well as photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers. Go with the delete Instagram account option only if you’ve decided to move on completely. Once the account is deleted there is no way bringing it back.
How to deactivate your Instagram account
Follow these steps to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily. Do note that this can only be done using a web browser as the Instagram app lacks the support.
- Go to https://instagram.com from a mobile browser or computer and log in with the Instagram ID you wish to deactivate
- Tap or click your profile icon from the top-right corner and then select ‘Profile’
- Select the ‘Edit Profile’ option from the following screen and scroll down until you see the ‘Temporarily disable my account’ option
- After you’ve tapped or clicked on the disable button, Instagram will show you a page with a drop-down menu next to ‘Why are you disabling your account?’ You’ll need to pick an option from the menu and then re-enter your password. The drop-down menu includes options such as Created a second account, Can’t find people to follow, Concerned about my data, Just need a break, Privacy concerns, Too busy/ too distracting, and Want to remove something. You can also pick the Something else option if you don’t want to specify your reason for temporary deactivation
- Tap or click the ‘Temporarily Disable Account’ button to temporarily deactivate your Instagram account
After this, your Instagram account will be deactivated. You can reactivate it by simply logging back in with your credentials. Until the Instagram account has not been reactivated, your profile, photos, comments, and likes will be hidden. Lastly, you can only deactivate your Instagram account once a week.
How to delete your Instagram account
For a permanent solution, deleting your Instagram account is your best bet. Again this can be done using a web browser, not the Instagram app.
- Select the options from the drop-down menu next to ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ The options are pretty much the same as deactivating an Instagram account like Too many ads, Privacy concerns, Concerned about my data, Created a second account, Trouble getting started, Want to remove something, and Can’t find people to follow.
- Enter the password and hit that ‘Permanently delete my account’ option from the bottom of the screen
All your photos, comments, likes, and followers on Instagram will be removed permanently. As stated above, with the delete Instagram account option, you can’t recover your account. If you wish to save your photos and posts from Instagram before deleting the account, you can download a copy of your information. To do so, tap your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile –> Settings –>Access Data –> and View All.